Monday, July 31, 2006

Potatoes with Eggplant Butter




Fresh & Fast Vegan Pleasures

When Rich told me he was tired of potatoes, one of my first thoughts was missing out on this delicious recipe. The smell of the eggplants and garlic baking in the oven is reason alone to make it. The butter made of eggplants also has garlic, lime juice, tahini, cumin seeds, and cilantro. While the potatoes are salted, the butter is not and its creaminess smoothes out the salty flavor for balance.




The salad is from the same book, with avocadoes, grapefruit, and a mustardy dressing. I made ciabatta bread this morning, had a good pizza with it for lunch, but for dinner, I had to make my boyfriend's much beloved garlic bread (instead of croutons).

bread contains wheat; all others gluten-free

5 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Ooooooh, yum! And i love the grapefruit sections there. Nice!

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that butter look snad I imagine smells, amazing!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger urban vegan said...

Tasty, vegan and easy to make: my favorite.

When/why are you moving to Philly? yay!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said...

That all looks so good. I love the eggplant butter idea.. someone else posted about roasted eggplant/hummus and I'll bet it was so good. Eggplant definitely gives a nice mouth feel when it's bakes... I'll bet it takes the place of fat really well. The next time I turn my oven on and make bread I'm going to bake an eggplant and roast some garlic as a topping.. that will be delicious.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Cherie Anderson said...

Thanks! It sounds good on top of bread, too. Or just whole pieces/slices. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home