Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thai Bean Cakes, Fried Rice, and Peach-Blueberry Compote



Rice & Spice, New Vegetarian Cooking (x2)

I didn't get home until almost 7:00 today, so time was short and I was super hungry. You can tell I took the pictures on top of the washer. ;) I like how the peach blueberry one I chose turned out; it looks like you can reach out and touch the fruit or sneak in a slurp of whipped cream.

The Rice & Spice dish is a repeat, the Thai Fried Rice, only this time I used broccoli as the vegetable, with great results, just as last time. I also added tofu because I think it adds a good texture.

The Thai Bean Cakes are made from cannellini beans, red curry paste, cilantro, green onion, and chickpea flour, served with lime wedges and a roasted red pepper garnish. I liked these cakes. They were pretty easy (the food processor did the work!) and a bit spicy, mellowed by the lime juice.

As for the peach-blueberry dish, how's this for easy: 2 c. blueberries, 4 T. apple juice concentrate, 4 sliced peaches, simmered for 5-10 min.? So good, too! I had been waiting for some organic peaches; these did not disappoint.

Unfortunately, I ate so late that there's no room for exercise tonight before bed. I've been trying to take a day off here and there every 12 days or so anyway. I guess today is best for that.

gluten-free

6 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Oy! I can't believe you worked so hard on such great food without time on your hands. Cherie, you are amazing, i agree with sue!

When i don't have time, i throw frozen veggies, frozen prepared rice or potatoes and "neat"balls in a container, put Bragg's on it all and nuke'm.

That dessert also looks tasty!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Cherie Anderson said...

Thanks! :) I had the rice already in the fridge since I knew I would get better results with cold rice. The cutting/prep was about 15 min. and 15 min. cooking time, had all things going at once.

I'm also at a big of an advantage because I know what I'm making basically on Sunday for the rest of the week. So for example, yesterday, I prepped a raspberry sauce (also because I didn't want the raspberries to go bad!), made gnocchi, and made the rice so I have a few things ready for later in the week. I have also already peered at the recipes beforehand on that Sunday or whatever planning day I have.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Dori said...

I love organized cooking. Your meal turned into a beautiful presentation.

I'm still impressedw ith the baked beans yesterday. One of these days very soon I'm going to get some made.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I have access to chickpea flour but haven't bought it yet. Great idea! Thanks!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Sophie said...

mm those look absolutely yummy!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to laugh when I saw the pics on top of your washer. I too take many of my pics on the washer. For some reason, it's the one place in the house where I have decent lighting (and it's right off the kitchen - which helps). Your food always looks so delicious. I usually try to do organized cooking for the entire week but with my family in town for the past month, all of that has finally fallen by the wayside. They've just left (today) and I can't wait to get back to a more organized routine. I definitely think it helps cut down on the time spent in the kitchen and it helps me eat healthier choices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home